The terms "mercury free," "mercury safe" and "biologic dentistry" can be confusing. What do they mean? The short answer is that Dr. Jones cares about your oral and whole health. He makes every effort to improve your health, and he is careful to avoid anything that might put you at risk.
A century ago, if you had a cavity, your dentist might have filled it with tin, lead, or iron. Of course, these materials were eventually officially classified as toxic, but it took many years and many illnesses. For example, the United States was still allowing lead fillings in the early 1900s, when three other nations banned it from even being used in house paint. Many dentists continued to use these and other frightening materials for as long as they were legal, durable, and cost effective.
A few select dentists were concerned about patient health and chose to quit using these dangerous materials long before they were "officially" toxic. At the time there was no name for this practice, it was simply concern for the patient's well-being. Today, we would call them biologic dentists.
Dr. Jones isn't just a tooth repairman - he is a doctor of oral health. He is concerned about the way dental materials, oral disease, and procedures affect your mouth, and the rest of your body. Any law-abiding dentist follows regulations. A biologic dentist also follows his or her own conscience and common sense. Dr. Jones only uses materials and procedures that he believes are safe.
Mercury free dentistry is just that. We do not use any product in this office that contains mercury. Amalgam fillings are often called silver, but they contain about half mercury. By itself, mercury is one of the most toxic elements on earth. To make amalgam, it is mixed with other metals that stabilize and harden it. At this point in time, it is believed that mercury bonds with the other metals, making amalgam fillings safe to use. Although the FDA reports than no toxic effects of amalgam have been proven, there is considerable controversy about the topic. To learn more about this issue, visit http://www.dentalwellness4u.com
Mercury safe means that Dr. Jones has extra training in removing amalgam fillings. Despite the reported stability of amalgam when undisturbed, it does release mercury vapor when heated. If you breathe mercury vapor, 80% of it is absorbed by your body immediately. A small amount of friction, like a pencil eraser, heats the filling, releasing a small amount of vapor. Consider the amount of friction, and heat, created by drilling and cutting. The amount mercury vapor created by removing an amalgam filling is many times the toxic level set by OSHA.
Amalgam fillings can be safely removed following a protocol set by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT). Dr. Jones is a member of this organization, and received training directly from them. The protocol includes measures like filtering the air, and removing the filling in large chunks instead of grinding it up. For more information visit http://www.iaomt.org
If you are looking for a dentist who will look out for your oral and overall, health in every way possible, call Social Circle Dental at (770) 464-1900 and schedule an appointment with Dr. Jones.
Social Circle Dental is a holistic dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures, while focusing on your overall health and well-being.